- You are releasing The Final Sign of Evil at the end of this month, what can people expect from it?
- It`s a special gift for old school Sodom fans and metal fans alike. It`s also for collectors who need the Sodom history completing. It sounds like it was production in the eighties. It was very important to get the spirit of the original EP back. - Is this the album you originally planned to release in 1984?
- Yes. When we entered the studio in 1984 we were supposed to do a full length album but the record company didn`t believe in us and they didn`t want to spend so much money for a three or four week production, so we just recorded a five track EP. Back in 1984, EPs where usually meant for debut releases. Then after the recording session Grave Violator left the band, so the tracks have been forgotten and lost in Grave Violators tape achieve. - Did you think the only way that the music could be re-created was to bring in Chris Witchhunter and Grave Violator to play on the album?
- Yes, for me the only way to re-record the songs was with the original line up, to get the sound as authentically as possible. Without them this album would not be possible. For me it was unacceptable to use session musicians, I was so glad to get the original members back. - Sodom have been around for nearly 25 years, when you started this band did you expect the band to last this long?
- No! When we started in 1982 we just did the music for fun and we had a good time during the rehersal sessions, they were a kind of metal celebration. We got our first record contract in 1984 and that was a killer and one of the most impressive days of my life. Nobody realized that the band would be going for the next 23 years. - Sodom and Destruction both defined German thrash over the years, what do you think of the thrash metal revival that is happening now? Bands like Evile, Municipal Waste, SSS etc
- Is it? We never mind, because Sodom was active in the scene constantly and we never had a break during all that time. But I think that more and more fans and musicians are interested in old school metal and historical bands. You cannot copy Sodom or other early Thrash, because this is a product of the early eighties, but I am glad that we inspire so many New Black [Metal] Or Thrash Bands. Sodom is, and will, always be a big influence for them. - I also heard there is a new DVD planned, what can we expect from that? And when will it be released?
- I don`t know when it will be released because I start in the studio next month. I know that we have to work out the Sodom history from 1996 to nowadays. You will probably find the 25 year anniversary Wacken Show and you`ll see the band on tour, behind the scenes, it could be a kind of road movie. - Finally, what are Sodom`s plans for the rest of 2007 and early 2008?
- We are planning a new album for 2008 and a US tour in spring. We are also looking forward to next summer`s festival season.
Interview by John Consterdine